In this buying guide, we will take a look at the granite kitchen countertops‘ quality, their benefits, drawbacks, as well as any issues that may arise during exploitation. Is it easy to take care of, maintain and clean? How does it compare to marble or quartz? Let’s find out.
What is Granite?
Pros of Granite Kitchen Countertops
- Granite worktops are manufactured from eco-friendly materials because granite is a natural stone. It is absolutely safe for domestic use.
- The stone has a unique texture and natural drawing. It means that there’re no two identical granite slab, so your tabletop is always unique.
- There are more than twenty color shades of granite countertops. However, white and black are the more popular and timeless choice. Advice: since granite may seem cold at first sight, it’s better to combine it with wood.
- Due to the stone’s hardness, it can withstand cuts with a knife. Keep in mind that the knife will blunt. It’s better not to risk scratches and use special kitchen boards.
- Granite kitchen benches have various shapes, therefore it gives you the opportunity to carry out complex kitchen designs.
- Although a granite countertop made for kitchen can tolerate high temperatures, hot objects should not be left on its surface for long periods of time. Left-over hot pans and grills may cause cracks, splits, and leave markings.
- Gives an expensive and luxurious look to the kitchen and increases the price of your home.
- Has low water penetration
- Allows cutting special grooves which will help to drain the extra moisture from the working surface into the sink during cooking in the kitchen
The Stain Test below will show you how a sealed granite slab can resist any liquid or dye.
Cons of Granite Kitchen Countertop
- Hard to come by because it’s not easy to mine granite itself. Thus, there are not many good offers on the market. Therefore if you decide to buy a granite tabletop, it’s likely that you’ll have to wait several months for the order.
- A difficult installation process requires a specialized team and high-quality fasteners that can sustain the product’s weight.
- Serious mechanical damage to the worktop, such as a chip or a crack, leads to complete replacement.
- Although a well treated granite kitchen countertop is moisture resistant, it still absorbs liquid. The stone becomes wet and dark if it is exposed to moisture for an extended period of time. Furthermore, if the liquid contains a dye, there will be a trace that you will be unable to erase.
- Aggressive chemicals, such as acid, soda, and silicone oil will deterioate granite. As a result, you should use special stone care chemicals for cleaning.
- Prone to impacts – this is due to the fact that natural granite is not elastic and point impact on its surface produces greater force than other types of stones (marble kitchen countertops for example).
- Granite is a natural stone with a high price tag. Granite slabs are equivalent to quartz countertops in price, ranging from $200 to $600 per running meter.
- There’s a mandatory periodic granite surface sealing (at least once a year). Sealing granite kitchen worktops can be required significantly more often when not maintained properly. Otherwise, stains and traces of daily life will show up on the surface.
What Granite is better to Choose for Countertops?
Keep in mind that polished granite should be chosen as the material for kitchen benches. Because it’s been processed, and therefore it’s more resistant to moisture. There are alternatives to big granite slabs, namely modular granite or granite tiles. However, because of the number of seams, people prefer to use granite slabs instead. But on the other hand, such alternatives will be less expensive and have lighter weight. And they allow for DIY installation, so you can save even more money!
Sealing and Waterproofing Granite Tops
How do you understand that granite needs waterproofing?
Wet your countertop surface with water, leave it for a couple of minutes. Then, if dark spots are visible, it’s clear that the treatment is necessary.
This video demonstrates how to seal granite kitchen countertops periodically.
For sealing and waterproofing granite tops, always use solutions that densely cover the stone. The result should be a protective layer on top. Thanks to this protective layer, the stone surface is safe from penetrating and reproducing germs, mold, corrosion, and material crashing. These substances are safe for humans and the environment.
Granite kitchen countertops are a great addition to any kitchen because of their super-hard surface, interesting texture, and exotic natural patterns. However, regular care and surface sealing is required to keep it clean and looking new. Clean it daily, use kitchen boards, avoiding high temperatures and caustic dyes. Lack of proper care may ruin the beauty of your kitchen. For best results, use special water repellent formulas and spray to polish the granite surface every month. It’ll give sparkle and seal the pores of the stone.